Friday, June 15, 2012

Clean chocolate hazelnut spread

Clean chocolate hazelnut spread.  Please notice I did not say Nutella, because if you're looking for that, it isn't here!  This stuff actually tastes like hazelnuts and the main ingredient isn't sugar.  Now, I don't (or won't) usually do picture by picture, but I think it might be helpful for this recipe.

Edited to add:  I made a batch today (5-24-13), entirely skipping the whole roasting, rubbing skins part, and it was probably my favorite batch yet!  Or maybe that's just because I haven't made it in ages and forgot how good it was.... but I plan on skipping it forevermore! 

Clean chocolate hazelnut spread

2 c raw hazelnuts
1 t vanilla
1/4 c cocoa powder
1/4 c raw honey
1/4 t salt
1/2 c milk
2 t oil (optional, but will be creamier)

Roast hazelnuts for 10 minutes on 400*.  Let cool for 5-10 minutes until you can rub them without being burnt, and rub what skins off you can.  In a food processor, blend the nuts until they've turned to butter.  Add all other ingredients and blend until smooth.  

Enjoy on apples, graham crackers (my fave), or anything your little heart desires!

Here's how the roasted hazelnuts should look--darkened and some skins popping off.

Notice not nearly all of the skins came off.  Don't stress about it like I did the first time!  This will be fine!

Process.  If I remember correctly, this is at one minute.  

And this is at a minute and a half.  This is when you add the rest of the ingredients.  (Adding:  it takes a few minutes if you do not roast the nuts.. don't despair!)

And process again.

Mmm!  Now to attempt some clean graham crackers to go along with this...

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, so how many carbs per whatever? I want to know if I can eat it!

    ReplyDelete